Monday, September 8, 2014

I Have Arrived!

When I arrived in Abu Dhabi and got off the plane, I was welcomed by a large group of teachers.  It looked like we were a high school group on our way to a retreat.  We were ushered through the airport and customs area all together (the idea of not sticking out like a tourist was quickly crushed).  Once I found all of my baggage we headed outside.  Speaking of baggage, I was only allowed to check two 50 pound bags.  If I wanted to bring an additional bag it would cost $137.  These people clearly didn't understand how hard it was to pack up my life in two bags!  I ended up checking three bags and my carry on ended up having to be checked at the gate which was a good thing because they also weigh your carry on.  If it's over the weight limit then you have to pay to check that one as well.  Let me get back on track with my story.  When I finally stepped foot outside the heat and humidity hit me in my face. It actually literally took my breathe away!  It was thick!  Thank goodness they kept us moving and I got on an air conditioned bus.

The bus took us to our hotel where I would stay for the next week, Park Rotana.  When I arrived I had to find my bags among the sea of luggage.  I was given information needed for my room and orientation.  The group that greeted us at the hotel then asked for my passport.  I looked around like they were crazy and to see what everyone else was doing.  Well, they were giving them their passports.  They needed our passports to complete our work visas.  Now being from America and going to another country, this was not something that came easy for me.  I know when I travel I want my passport with me so if something goes down I can get out.  Well this time I had to give it up and trust this system.  Yikes!

Once I made to my room I was very pleased with the accommodations.  By this time it was around 11:00pm and as much as I would've liked to be tired and go to bed, I was up and hungry.  I ended up going downstairs to the pub with a few people I had met along the way.  We quickly realized that the pub was the spot on Thursday nights because it was a club environment that we were under dressed for.  So I went back to my room and ordered room service and finally went to sleep around 2:30am.  I couldn't believe it...I had arrived.

My room at Park Rotana

 My view when I woke in the morning finally at 10:30.  I only woke up because housekeeping knocked at my door.  I was so confused about what time it was.  Jet lag was on another level.

No comments:

Post a Comment