Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Grand Mosque

As my first week in the UAE continued I had the great opportunity to visit The Grand Mosque.  It was conveniently located across the street from my hotel.  I could've walked, but wasn't crazy enough to do that in the humid heat.  So I took the three - five minute taxi ride over with a couple of new friends I had met. I was so happy I took the taxi.  I started sweating from the taxi to the main entrance, so there was no way I would have survived the walk. 

Side Note:To visit you have to be dressed respectfully which means men can't wear shorts and women must be fully covered.  Women can wear pants, but they shouldn't be tight.  If you don't have on appropriate attire, they will give you an abya (what the women traditionally wear here) that will cover your clothes and head.  I thought they would give you a nice abya, but it essentially looks like a black cloak you might find in a halloween store.  I was glad I dressed appropriately but yes, I was very hot.  Let me get back on track.  

The mosque was breathtaking.  There were so many awesome details put into this place.  One word for this mosque - beautiful!  Don't believe me?  Here are some pictures I took to capture the beauty.  

If you would like to read more about the mosque, here you go: http://www.szgmc.ae/en/theory-and-implementation














 
























5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! So glad you are seizing the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures miss, looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking. And your eyebrows are looking good!! CANNOT WAIT to come visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures!...That mosque was absolutely beautiful!:)

    ReplyDelete